Sunday, June 14, 2009

Completing the bucket cyclone.


At this point, I've built and lined the body, constructed the top (also lined with aluminum sheet), and installed both pipes in the body. I've also fabricated the adaptors to fit my vacuum hoses. I have a Ridgid shop vac, purchased at Home Depot. HD carries plenty of accessories for this line of vacs, and I picked up a spare hose some time back. It's going to come in handy now! Certainly looks proffessionally made, doesn't it? :)




Here's a good view showing the lining, and how the top is constructed. While the body lining is epoxied in, I simply used contact glue to apply the lining to the top. I used my scroll saw to cut a hole in the aluminum large enough to allow the mdf ring (this is to reinforce the pipe) to be glued directly to the 3/4" ply top (I also shot some brads through the ring). A bead of silicon sealer around the top and bottom of the ring completed this. I cleaned up the edge on belt and disc sander to make sure everything was even.

The pipe is cut to extend down past the bottom of the intake pipe.


I was so happy to connect the hoses at this point! Everything fit just right. I decided to test it out by simply putting it on top of a bucket and holding it to make a seal of sorts- then I vacuumed up some debris from the shop floor...

And here's the result- it works!!!! Yeah!!! It's nice to know that I haven't wasted all of this work- now I'll go on and finish it :)


I picked up a cheap circle cutter at Harbor Freight the other day, and I'm using it to establish the hole in the base, which will be just over 3 inchs. I didn't cut all the way through (it's just too much trouble with this cheap tool), but just used it to cut in about a quarter inch, then cut the rest out with the scrollsaw, and cleaned it up on the router table using a flush trim bit.

Here I've got the first two layers of the base glued and bradded together- I'll use the scroll saw to cut out most of the waste...

Then make it perfect on the router table. Note the vacuum held close to the work- this helps a lot in keeping the mess down.

I'm making the base from four layers of plywood- three 3/4" inch layers, and one 1/2" layer. I'll be securing it to the base with some 3 1/2 screws that I picked up at a flea market awhile back. Here, I'm getting it all set up- I drilled pilot holes, then used 2 1/2" self-drilling screws to get it all set up on the base- note that the holes are set fairly far out on the base- this is to avoid the possibility of putting a screw through the lining (and I didnt'- phew!). I also used these holes and screws in cutting out the holes in the next two layers, so that it all came out consistent.

Here's the completed base, ready for it's lining. I've applied contact glue to the lining and the inside of the base- then I went inside to have a drink and let it dry. Not the bucket lid in the top of the pic- I've cut the hole, and set up for the inner mounting ring. This is a simple ring of 3/4" ply that goes on the bottom of the bucket lid- then 1 1/4" self-drilling screws are run through it into the very bottom layer of the base. A good layer of silicon between the base and top of the lid insures a good seal.
And here it is with it's brand new base!

And here it is, mounted to it's bucket as described above. I emptied all of the fine dust out of vac filter into another bucket (and it was really an amazing amount), then used the cyclone to vacuum it up- and all of it ended up in the bottom of the bucket!!! WOO-HOO!!! IT WORKS GREAT!!!!!! The only thing I found wrong here was a slight air leak around the top, so I simply removed it (I no longer needed to access the inside, anyhow), ran a heavy bead of silicon around the top, then screwed it back on. No more leak!

Here is my happy painting assistant :) I picked up some spray paint for a quarter a can a week or so ago, and this seems like a perfect use for it.

And here is the finished product, painted (many mistakes disguised, in other words), and ready to go! About all this needs is a stable base for the bucket, as this is a bit top heavy and easy to tip over. All in all, this is one of my favorite and most worthwhile shop projects ever!

No comments: