Friday, March 20, 2009

Well, it looks like it's been about a year and a half since my last posting on here- shame on me! I've not been as busy recycling as previously- two things combined to cause this. One, gas got really expensive (remember that? OUCH!), and my favorite consignment auction house closed, so I could no longer sell found items to support my habit. And, since I like my hobbies to be self-supporting, I gave up regular dumpster diving (I've still been taking peeks here and there, of course, especially for materials).

It looks like that might change, though. I've decided on a new, very ambitious, project, and I intend to do as much of it with junk as possible. My new project is to build a CNC router, which will allow me to reach entirely new levels of productivity and creativity. Commercially made CNC routers are hideously expensive- Many people have built their own for well under $1000. My intention is to build my own cnc router without investing more than $50 or so in the physical part of it. The electronics will cost, of course, but I'm also looking for ways to obtain the needed items as cheaply as possible.

My plan is to keep a log on here of the process of finding what I need and building my CNC router- the process should start soon, as I'm heading for an auction tomorrow where I've spotted some components I can use in this project. Stay Tuned!

No comments: