Monday, April 9, 2007

A Cutting Guide for A Skilsaw

A year or two ago I found an entire sheet of 1/2" plywood that had been in use as a sign. I've used that wood for tons of things, including shelves in the house and other stuff. I had one little piece of it left in the shop, and this is what I decided to do with it-

Here, I've attached it to a piece of 1/8" masonite, leaving a large overhang, and clamped it to the end of my bench, being careful that I won't cut the bench.

Here, I'm simply cutting the masonite with my circular saw, using the plywood as a guide. Yep- it's an old saw. It was old when I got it about twelve years ago. One of my better $20 purchases! :)


The complted guide- in use, I will simply line up the edge of the masonite where I want my cut, or alternately, use it to line up a longer guide relative to the edge of a piece. I'm planning to use this to make some templates for things that I'll be making a lot of, like shelves.




No comments: