Sunday, March 18, 2007

I had to go into work today (my Sunday on the rotation), so I took my trailer with me to see if I could find any materials. Normally, I'm just looking for whatever turns up, but today I was specifically looking for junk wood. The reason for this is that my brother has asked me to make some packing cases for
some items he needs to ship to a customer. Since these items are heavy and made of steel, he decided to get me to do it instead of messing with it himself (I'm the family woodworker- we have a specialty, and that's mine). It's not important what the crates are made of, just that they are strong and secure, so
off I went in search of stuff!

I didn't have to look far for this pile of 3/4" ply- just went by the local countertop contractor- they've provided me with lots of good ply in the past, included that that I used to build my work bench (with a nice, smooth laminate top, thank you!).


Look at this good pile of wood! The border on the big one is red oak- I might use that for something, and I might not. I've got lots of red oak on hand.


I was sad to see this in another location- all that nice wood, buried with bricks. I could probably have gotten it out, but it just wasn't worth the trouble- there's always more somewhere else.

So, I got home with a nice trailer load of used 3/4" ply, perfect for making heavy packing cases. Stay tuned, and I'll show you how I put it to use- as well as the item I'm making them for. Points to anyone who can identify it :)


No comments: